Get Involved with Urban Hope
Summer Volunteer Opportunities
Employ a Young Leader. Youth ages 14 to 18 in our Young Leaders Group who are able to obtain work permits are seeking meaningful summer employment located conveniently along bus lines or in walking distance from the neighborhood. Hire someone or help us identify and recruit potential employers.
Serve at the Urban Hope Summer Camp Cookout (group opportunity). Days before summer camp begins, Urban Hope hosts a cookout to kick things off. It is a time for campers, parents, counselors, community partners, and neighbors to meet one another and get ready for the summer adventure. This year, the cookout will be held on Saturday, June 17th from 5pm to 8pm at The Alexander House (1105 Berkeley Street). We need a team of six (6) people to help set up grills, tables, chairs, coolers, and tents, prepare and serve food, and clean up and tear down.
Provide Meals for Campers and Counselors. There are several opportunities to provide meals during the summer camp:
• Lunch for 15 during the 6-day counselor orientation (June 10 - 16)
• Lunch for 15 during the 3-day counselor de-briefing (July 31 - August 2)
• Box/Bag lunches for 50 for the five (5) weekly all-camp field trips
• Grill up hot dogs and hamburgers with chips, cookies, and drinks for 50 for our Jordan Lake field trip on Friday, June 23, 2017, from 10am-2pm
• Frozen casseroles or hot meals (serving 8 - 12) to feed our summer camp counselors staying at The Alexander House
Serve at Walltown Summer Jam. Walltown Summer Jam is an annual back-to-school celebration of community, culture, and the educational journey of our young people. This year, the event will take place on Saturday, August 19, 2017, from 3:30pm-6:30pm at Walltown Park & Recreation Center (1308 W. Club Blvd.). There will be food, music, games, live performances, school supply giveaways, and a used computer raffle. We need volunteers for the following:
• Volunteer Coordinator: Are you great with people and logistics? Love to serve and want to make a difference in your community? Then sign up to coordinate all of the volunteers during Walltown Summer Jam. You’ll work with the Urban Hope Director to cast vision for the event and direct the flow of volunteers so that everything runs smoothly.
• Volunteer the Day of the Event: We need folks to serve food, register youth and families, give away backpacks and school supplies, and set up/clean up. Click to Sign Up as a Volunteer
• Contribute to our School Supply Drive: Our goal is to hand out 260 backpacks filled with school supplies to elementary, middle and high school students. Click to Make a Contribution to our School Supply Drive
School-Year Volunteer Opportunities
Coach a Walltown Basketball Team. We have 3 coed basketball teams with the Durham Parks & Rec Junior NBA program. We need coaches who are willing to help transport players and assist with the one-night-a-week practice and Saturday games.
Tutor. Individual tutors are needed Monday - Thursday (one hour between 4pm - 6pm) to assist elementary, middle, and high school students with academic skills and homework. It is most helpful if the volunteer will consider making a commitment to tutor once-a-week on a specified day for at least one semester to provide consistency and continuity.